Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Language and Communication

During the group presentation in 649 today, I was really struck by the video about Walter Payton College Prep High School. The educational opportunities that those students have are incredible. Someone commented that they were a bit jealous because they never had those opportunities in high school. I wholeheartedly agree with this.

I studied Spanish in high school, and it was one of my favorite subjects. For a while I considered minoring in it. Even though I haven’t formally studied it in a while, I’ve kept up by reading Spanish novels and an occasional movie or two. Even with all of that, I’m by no means fluent. I can’t help but wonder how different my learning experience would have been if my Spanish AP class in high school had included video conferences with students in Spain or Mexico. As a learner, I’m aware that my biggest weakness is comprehending native speakers of Spanish. I was taught mostly by teachers who acquired Spanish as their second language. I had no trouble understanding when they spoke because they and my classmates all had the same American accent that I’ll never quite be able to lose (oh, those rr’s…). Having a chance to converse with a group of native speakers like the students at Walter Payton are able to would have made a huge difference in my learning experience.

Their interactions embody the type of meaningful cultural exchange that ties our increasingly interconnected world together. I was one of a lucky few students during high school who had the opportunity to travel abroad as a Student Ambassador. I’d be willing to bet that I learned more during the eight weeks I spent overseas over the course of three different summers than I did in any one classroom. Bringing people together allows them to share their unique perspectives on the world. We not only learn about a different culture; we learn a great deal about our own. Imagine how much richer our society would be if every student had the opportunity to interface with students from around the world.

I’m fascinated with the possibilities for the use of video conferencing in the classroom. I’m sure there will be another post soon about that.

All of this talk about using communication to bring people closer together makes me think of that most iconic of Disney structures: Spaceship Earth (Sorry, I’m a Disney nerd. They brainwashed me when I worked there…). I leave you with the old incarnation narrated by none other than Walter Cronkite. His version is a little dated, but the sentiment is the same, and he'll always be my favorite narrator. Is it possible that my repeated visits to this attraction as a child shaped my views about technology and communication?



4 comments:

  1. Great post, Kristina. One of the truly exciting things about web technology is all of the possibilities opened up for this kind of interaction. If you're taking Foreign Language methods in the fall, you'll likely meet Philomena Meechan, who is a very creative technician at the UM Language Resource Center. She's someone you would enjoy meeting, as she's done a lot of work of this kind and has thought a lot about how to facilitate inter-cultural connections for the purpose of leanguage learning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds amazing. It's also a lot cheaper than taking a trip to Spain like some high schools can do. (or Cancun, I guess, if you're into that whole spring break ideal)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome post! Anything that makes subject matter real is an amazing way to inspire students. Your school had opportunities like this, as well, though not perhaps in language education. Remember the electron microsopes and DNA extractions in GBE? (I wanted to take that class!) How about that history teacher who used to dress up like historical characyers? (I wanted to teach like that, though I never had the chance!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. One more thing... I took French in high school. We never conversed, though. Everything was book work! When I was 26 and sent to France to teach a class, the thing that struck me most was seeing the sights that were in my French books. Though I knew they were real, of course, they weren't 'alive' until I stood before them and gazed up at the architecture and the beauty! At first sight, I remembered the photos on the pages of my French book!

    ReplyDelete